Summer may be one of the best times to kick back and relax, but it’s the perfect time for germs to start working overtime. We’re not talking about airborne germs, as they thrive the most in the winter during flu season. These are the ones that produce mold and awful smells that you can’t seem to tell where they’re coming from. To help avoid cleaning even more than you have to, or worse having to throw items away, we’ve put together an essentials list for some of the most popular summer cleaning needs.
- Water Rings - Hot days call for cold drinks, but cold drinks on hot days mean bad things for wood. There is one trick to removing them though, and it involves something you store in the fridge. Weirdly, that item is mayonnaise, and if you spread it on and leave it for 15 minutes to an hour you’ll be mark free! Don’t leave it too long though, as the mayonnaise will spoil and become a breeding ground for germs and bacteria.
- Washer - The summer heat brings the mold out. One place that is prone to mold is your washer, and it might seem weird but you need to wash it. Run your washer with detergent on the hottest temperature it can be set at. After, let it air dry by leaving the door open before using again.
- Bathroom - Like your washer, this is a great place for mold to grow. When you shower, the humidity from the steam can leave water in lots of places that don’t easily dry out after getting damp. To prevent this from happening, run the bathroom’s fan while in the shower and for at least 15-30 minutes after. Also remember to leave the shower door or curtain open after exiting as it will allow the inside to dry faster and eliminate potential mold.
- Garbage Cans - No matter what time of the year, leftover food can make any garbage can smell rancid. But when the heat is increased, it seems to make it a hundred times worse. For outdoor cans, clean them at least once a month in the hotter months, as the stronger the smell the more it will attract unwanted animals.
- Grill - By now hopefully you’ve heard how dangerous those wire brushes are for your health. If not, it’s time to throw them out and use another tool. To give your grill a really good cleaning though you’ll need to remove the whole grid and clean with an oven cleaning solution. If removable, you should also clean the heating plates as it will allow for a better flow from your propane.
Summer cleaning may not be the most fun activity, but if you avoid it, things tend to get smelly. Do you have any other essential summer cleaning activities you do? Let us know in the comments section what’s on the top of your cleaning list.