Friday, May 11, 2012

Glossary of Bedroom Furniture Terms

Shopping for furniture can be confusing if you don’t know the lingo! Here’s a quick crash course in some of the most commonly used bedroom furniture terms.

Rails – Long metal bars that attach a headboard and a footboard. Rails can have metal hooks at each end (hook-on rails) or flat panels with screws at each end (bolt-on rails).

Metal bed frame – A simple, non-decorative bed frame made entirely of metal. You can always tell the difference between metal frames and metal rails by seeing where the support comes from. If you see little metal feet going from the frame to the floor, you know you’ve got a frame. If there are no feet, you’ve got a pair of rails (for rails, the support comes from the headboard and footboard).

Split Box Spring – 2 smaller-sized box springs that can support a larger sized mattress when placed side by side. Split box springs are much easier to move around than regular box springs. Also, doorways and stairways in some cities are smaller than average, and split box springs are much more likely to fit through.

Headboard – A piece of furniture that attaches to the head of a bed.

Baseboard or Footboard – A piece of furniture that attaches to the foot of a bed.

Slats – Flat pieces of wood that lay inside a bed frame to provide additional support to a mattress. Slats can be screwed in place or just lay freely depending on the bed.

Bunkie board – A flat piece of wood shaped, fitted, and often covered in fabric to lay in a bunk bed as support for a mattress. Many bunk beds have slats (see above) that are very far apart, so a Bunkie board is critical to keep a mattress from sagging through.

Bunkie mattress – A mattress with a wooden frame built into the underside. It serves the same purpose as a Bunkie board, but there’s no need to shop for a separate mattress since it’s built right in!

Need clarification on something else? Ask us in the comments!


Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More